SIGNATURE TRAIN TOUR | KAUAI PLANTATION RAILWAY
Your train ride takes you back through history to the plantation days of Kauaʻi… but this is also a real working farm. Much of the fruit you’ll see growing at the plantation is used in Mahiko Lounge’s farm to glass cocktails at The Plantation House by Gaylord’s Restaurant.
- Senior 62+
- Child (3-12)
- Explore the historic 105 acre Kilohana Plantation
- Feed the pigs, goats, sheep, and their friendly donkey Stiney.
- All aboard elegant mahogany passenger cars
Kauaʻi’s Signature Train Ride
The Kauai Plantation Railway recreates the days when diesel powered narrow gauge locomotives moved the harvested cane from the fields to the mill, and raw sugar from the mill to the wharf for shipment. Today, Kauaʻi Plantation Railway is running two 1948 25-ton, General Electric, Diesel Electric Locomotives; the same type used in the sugarcane fields.
Your tour begins in an authentic Hawaiʻian train depot. Check in with the stationmaster, then take a few minutes to explore the unique Train Depot Gift Shop. Here you will find many hand-crafted items made right here on Kauaʻi.
In a few short minutes you hear the approach of the train. You step out onto the boarding platform and watch as the engine appears out of the jungle as it winds its way past a garden in bloom with tropical flowers.
The train cars are close reproductions of King Kalakaua’s personal railway cars from the mid 1800’s. They are elegant with hand finished wood interiors and offer an enclosed ride with plenty of views. If you are feeling more adventurous you may pick the open sided excursion car as used on the Oahu coast railway before World War II. In either case you are sure to have a safe and comfortable ride.
Your local guide (conductor) will share with you some of the history of the Plantation, the beautiful island of Kauai, and the equipment they use. The Conductor will also point out some of the interesting varieties of fruits and vegetables grown right there at the Kilohana Plantation. Sit back, relax, and enjoy the view as the train passes through fields of bananas, papayas, pineapples, taro, as well as native & exotic hardwoods from around the world. Kilohana Plantation’s fruit orchard has over 25 different varieties of fruit trees that will have your mouth watering.
The Kilohana plantation is surely one of the most beautiful farms in the world. You will see an unusual mix of plants and trees, as well as their friendly farm animals along the way.
Well out into the heart of the plantation you get to disembark to spend some time feeding the pigs, goats, sheep, and their friendly donkey Stiney. The Kauaʻi Plantation Railway is fun for all ages and a must do when staying on Kauai.
- Every day at 10:00, 11:00, 12:00, 1:00, & 2:00.
- Tuesday & Friday at 4:30 & 5:30.
They recommend arriving at least 15 minutes prior to departure.
Perfect for the whole family. All ages welcome!
No food service available on the train ride. Located in Kilohana’s original courtyard, The Plantation House by Gaylord’s Restaurant offers Kauai’s most authentic Island dining experience with island-influenced dishes by Chef Johnny Saguid. An original working plantation homestead, Kilohana was home to Gaylord Wilcox who operated Grove Farm Plantation, a 23,000 acre Sugar Plantation. Be sure to stop by the main house to explore shops and enjoy a meal at The Plantation House.
PLEASE NOTIFY HAWAII ADVENTURE CENTER IF YOU NEED TO CANCEL OR RESCHEDULE AN ACTIVITY.
You can do so by calling (888) 207-0722 or contact us online.
- No refunds for cancellations within 48 hours of activity
- For groups of 6+ there are no refunds for cancellations within 72 hours of activity
- We will gladly reschedule your activity at no extra cost if changes are made prior to the 48 or 72 hour cancellation period
- Cancellations from date of booking to 48 hours before activity or for larger groups 72 hours before activity are subject to a 10% service charge
- If for some reason we are unable to confirm your reservation with the activity operator due to oversold seats or other unforeseen reasons, a full refund will be provided and you will be notified immediately to discuss alternative dates and activities
If a tour operator cancels any trip due to weather, mechanical failure, unsafe conditions, or insufficient reservations, a full refund will be provided.