Train, Lunch, and Orchard Adventure | Kauai Plantation Railway
Ride the train, walk through an exotic fruit orchard, have a gourmet picnic lunch from The Plantation House by Gaylords, then for dessert, sample fresh tropical fruits you pick directly from the tree. Let’s not forget about feeding Kilohana Plantation's friendly farm animals!!!
- Explore the historic 105 acre Kilohana Plantation
- Plantation & Orchard walk
- Lunch from The Plantation House by Gaylords
The Kauai Plantation Railway recreates the days when diesel powered narrow gauge locomotives moved the harvested cane from the fields to the mill, and raw sugar from the mill to the wharf for shipment. Today, Kauai Plantation Railway is running two 1948 25-ton, General Electric, Diesel Electric Locomotives; the same type used in the sugarcane fields.
Kauai’s Train, Lunch, and Orchard Adventure
This 3.6-hour tour is great for all ages. Your Adventure begins when you climb aboard the Kauai Plantation Railway to ride out into the heart of their 105-acre Kilohana Plantation.
Once out back, your guide will stop the train so you can disembark to explore by foot. You will then follow Kai through stands of Samoan coconut trees, taro loi, pineapple fields, and 22-rows of exotic fruit trees. This is NOT a race; it is a leisurely 60-minute walk over mostly level terrain. You will be stopping frequently to learn about all the beautiful tropical flowers & plants.
Relax and enjoy a delicious gourmet lunch at Kilohana Plantation picnic area. For desert you can sample some of the fresh fruit you picked while walking through the orchard and watch as your tour guide masterfully slices a pineapple.
After lunch the exploring continues. You will make a stop by Uncle Mannie’s farm to feed the friendly farm animals on your way to their international hardwood section. Here you will see hardwood trees from around the world like Honduras Mahogany, Brazilian Ipe, Cocobolo, Spanish Cedar, Anjico, and Rainbow Eucalyptus form Indonesia.
Then you will make a quick stop to see the Plantation’s friendly Alpaca’s Ili and Ahi. They love to eat Ti leaf.
Next up is the Hawaiian Hardwood section. Here you will see native trees found only in Hawaii like Koa, Ohia, Kou, and Milo. Learn how Native Hawaiians used the Kukui Nut to make lamp oil and what crops there brought with them in canoes over 1,000 years ago.
Last but not lease is Kilohana Plantation’s Banana patch. Did you know that bananas are actually classified as the world’s largest herb? Take in the sites, meet new friends, and take pictures to show family back home.
As all good things come to an end, it’s all aboard the train back to the depot.
What to bring: Water, bug spray, and walking staffs (if needed), dress comfortably, hat, and sunglasses. (Rain Ponchos can be purchased at the train depot for $1.00)
Monday through Friday at 10:00, Check-in starts at 9:30
Participants should be comfortable around animals and enjoy walking leisurely. No pregnancies, bad backs or bad knees.
Health & Safety of Guests and Staff is Kauai Plantation Railway’s Top Priority!
During the past few months, Kauai Plantation Railway staff has been implementing new procedures for trip operations, modifying their facilities and adjusting their expectations for the 2020/2021 season and beyond.
These changes are aligned with guidelines, recommendations, and mandates from local, state and federal agencies. They include enhanced cleaning protocols, social distancing and adjusting operations to keep all guests and staff safe.
Feeling Sick? Stay Home!
Guests or staff who are feeling sick or know that they have been exposed to COVID-19 are REQUIRED to stay away. If a guest or staff member begin to show any symptoms or feel ill in anyway, they will be asked to leave the tour and our facilities.
Sanitization and Cleaning
* All cleaning and sanitizing will be done using procedures and products verified by the CDC and FDA.
* Maintain a social distance of 6 feet and avoid direct contact with other people
* Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth
* Make sure you and people around you follow good respiratory hygiene. Cough or sneeze into your elbow or a tissue, and dispose of that tissue right away.
* The CDC recommends wearing a cloth face covering when not eating or drinking.
- Panzanella style Beet Salad – Local beets, local greens, goat cheese, red onion, grape tomato, naan bread, and lemon balsamic vinaigrette.
- Kilohana Cobb Salad – Apple wood smoked bacon, char grilled chicken breast, blue cheese, avocado, boiled eggs, red onions, grape tomato, romaine lettuce and Ranch dressing.
- Local Field Green Salad – Local farmers mix greens, garlic, roasted portobello mushroom, grape tomato, goat cheese, cucumber, lemon balsamic vinaigrette, and toasted pine nuts.
- Pulled Pork Sandwich – Slow roasted pork, passion fruit barbeque sauce, grilled onions, garden slaw, on Brioche bun. (nf/df/gf with gf bun)
- Misoyaki Fish Sandwich – Fresh Catch of the day in miso and sake, oven roasted, wasabi mayo, butter lettuce, red onion, vine ripened tomato on Brioche and pickled ginger. (nf/df/gf with gf bun)
- Kalbi Chicken Sandwich – Flame grilled chicken breast, finished with kalbi and miso ranch sauce, served with butter lettuce, red onion, and vine ripened tomato. (nf/gf with gf bun)
PLEASE NOTIFY HAWAII ADVENTURE CENTER IF YOU NEED TO CANCEL OR RESCHEDULE AN ACTIVITY.
You can do so by calling (888) 207-0722 or contact us online.
- No refunds for cancellations within 48 hours of activity
- For groups of 6+ there are no refunds for cancellations within 72 hours of activity
- We will gladly reschedule your activity at no extra cost if changes are made prior to the 48 or 72 hour cancellation period
- Cancellations from date of booking to 48 hours before activity or for larger groups 72 hours before activity are subject to a 10% service charge
- If for some reason we are unable to confirm your reservation with the activity operator due to oversold seats or other unforeseen reasons, a full refund will be provided and you will be notified immediately to discuss alternative dates and activities
If a tour operator cancels any trip due to weather, mechanical failure, unsafe conditions, or insufficient reservations, a full refund will be provided.